Alert 2/9/22 | 3:12 PM: Santa Clara County sees record dry weather to begin 2022.Learn more
FYI 1/19/22 | 2:50 PM: Mobile COVID-19 testing bus at Valley Water Mondays and Wednesdays through February (except 2/21)Learn more
Back to top

Report Water Waste


COVID-19 Program Notice

Report Water Waste!

Valley Water’s water waste inspectors respond to reports of water waste and violations of local water use restrictions. To report water waste, you may select any of these convenient options:

  1. Download our Access Valley Water app or go toAccess Valley Waterand select the "Conserve Water & Save with Rebates" category, or search "water waste" in the search bar.
  2. 调用(408) 630-2000
  3. Email[email protected]

Please include photos, cross-streets, and landmarks with water waste reports whenever possible.

If you are comfortable doing so, some residents may appreciate a knock on the door and an FYI regarding water waste issues from a passerby.

Not sure how to prevent water pollution?Read more on how you can prevent water pollution. Whether it's from cleaning your car or draining your pool or letting irrigation water drain off your property, you can help protect your local waterways.

What Happens When You Submit a Water Waste Case?

When Valley Water receives a report of water waste, we open an investigation and make efforts to contact the person responsible for the property wasting water. Letters are mailed in order to educate the site owner and prompt them to take action.While Valley Water's team is not empowered to issue fines, we do provide education and resources to help residents reduce water use and eliminate water waste. Please support our efforts in increasing water-use efficiency byreporting water wasters.

The purpose of Valley Water's Water Waste Inspector Program is to educate the public with helpful tips, suggestions, and resources to reduce or eliminate water waste. Regarding specific water waste cases, likewater waste emergencies, Valley Water encourages you to contact directly thelocal water providerthat serves that address.

First Report:

  • 我们的水浪费寄出报告的反应of broken sprinklers, excessive watering, watering during restricted times or other water waste issues. They notify the homeowner, resident or business owner to identify the problem and recommend ways to resolve it. In most cases, learning they have a broken sprinkler or are inadvertently wasting water by watering during restricted times, the resident or business owner understands and takes care of the issue.
  • Check with yourlocal water providerto learn more about their restrictions and water conservation mandates. For large volumes of wasted water or persistent water waste cases, Valley Water will engage with the local water provider to request they assist in the response to address the inefficient use of water.

Second Report:If Valley Water receives a subsequent water waste report at the same location, they will again attempt to contact the site owner and encourage the responsible party to take care of the problem.

Third Report:

  • On the third report of the same water wasting issue, Valley Water will refer the case to the local water provider responsible for that address.
  • How the water company responds varies with the jurisdiction. There may be more educational attempts, or they may have a citation or fine system in place.
  • Check withyour local water providerto learn more about their restrictions and water conservation mandates.

Types of Water Waste to Report

Common examples of water waste from irrigation systems we encourage residents to report to water waste inspectors:



佤邦tering sidewalks, roads, or other permeable hardscape can be avoided with more efficient irrigation equipment.


Broken Irrigation


Irrigating or Watering During Restricted Hours

Find Your Water Retailercan help you determine the restricted hours to irrigate in your area. It's most efficient to water landscapes during the evening or early morning.


佤邦shing a Car without a Positive Shut-Off Nozzle

佤邦shing your car at home should be done with a positive shut-off nozzle, a bucket, andso the water runs off into your landscaping[PDF]. Many commercial car washes recycle their water:find a local car washto save water and protect our waterways.MyWatershedWatch.orgperiodically offersdiscount cardsfor participating car washes.


佤邦tering During or Immediately After Rainfall

No irrigation is allowed within 48 hours of measurable rainfall (typically defined as 1/4-inch of rain or more).


Leaking Water Meters

Contacting your water retailercan help you fix leaking water meters as well.

Where to Report Other Types of Water Waste

The water waste inspectors are best equipped to help address water waste from irrigation systems and landscapes. The additional contact information listed will help you find the proper team or agency to report other types of water waste and pollution.


Broken Fire Hydrants

Contactyour water retailer报告损坏或泄漏消防栓。

Mosquito and larvae in standing water

Mosquito Sources

Mosquitoes are capable of transmitting diseases such as West Nile virus, Dengue Fever, and Malaria. Mosquitoes can breed in stagnant water in plastic pools, buckets, old tires, gutters with persistent standing water, etc.

TheCounty of Santa Clara Vector Control Districtcan help identify, eliminate, or remove these sources through measures including but not limited tomosquitofish. Related information can befound here. Report any breeding sources for follow up or anonymously throughthis online service requestor by calling at (408) 918-4770.

Mosquitofish prey on mosquito larvae


Hazardous Material Dumping in Creeks

For urgent matters, call Valley Water's Pollution Hotline at 1(888) 510-5151. Then, report throughAccess Valley Waterwith the "Hazardous materials reporting" topic.


Illegal Dumping in Creeks

Call Valley Water's Watershed Hotline at 1(408) 630-2378 or throughAccess Valley Waterwith the "Dumping, trash & debris" topic.

Only rainwater should flow into storm drains

Reporting Urban Run-Off and Pollution in Storm Drains

Only clean water may be dumped or allowed to flow into a storm drain. Common examples of illegal discharges include pesticides, water from washing vehicles or equipment, sewage, automotive fluids, paint, construction materials and wastes, sediment and/or silt, and food wastes.

When do you report an illegal discharge or dumping incident?

  • When you see a person dumping anything into the storm drain. This activity is illegal.
  • When you notice unusual odors in or near the storm drain.
  • When you see dumped wastes and materials in or near the storm drain.
  • When the storm drain system has larger than normal flows during dry periods.

To report an illegal discharge or dumping incident, contact the listed member agency in which the discharge or incident occurs:

Campbell, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga (408) 354-5385
Cupertino (408) 777-3354
Los Altos (650) 947-2770
Los Altos Hills (650) 941-7222
Milpitas 1-888-229-9473
Mountain View (650) 903-6378
Palo Alto (650) 329-2413
(24 hour support)
San Jose (408) 945-3000
(24 hour support)
Santa Clara (408) 615-5580
(24 hour support)
Sunnyvale (408) 730-7260
Unincorporated Santa Clara County (408) 918-3400

In case of emergencies or after business hours, please call 911 to report the incident. For more information,contact SCVURPPP(Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program) or call 1-888-BAY-WISE (1-888-229-9473).

Questions?Call our Water Wise Hotline at (408) 630-2000 or email[email protected].